Saturday, January 13, 2007

Freaks and Geeks!

I have to say that my favorite Christmas present this year was finally receiving The Complete Series Freaks and Geeks DVD. I still don't understand why this show was cancelled almost 7 years ago. Yes, 7 years ago and people like me still love this show and remember it. I didn't think that I saw all of the episodes because they were showing a bunch of the last ones about 2 weeks before our wedding and I was a bit busy but apparently I either recorded them or sat down in front of the tv for the evening since I remembered parts of every episode. That was in July of 2000 but the last episode didn't air until October for some reason. But, again, I must have made time for it since I remember the episode well.

I cannot explain why this show speaks to me. I identify with both the geeks and the Freaks. I would have to say that I dressed like a Freak but really was a geek. My high school life was pretty uncatgorizable. I was in choir, theater, and academic bowl. I was in color guard, SADD, and Key club. At the same time I was in a bible study and active in more than one church group. I went to see Warrant and Poison in concert. I also saw Queensryche and Petra in the same month. Who was I? I don't even know. I just didn't really fit into any one thing. I was the new kid for more than one year. Some groups never thought I belonged while others wondered why I had ever gone to school somewhere else.

High School was all at once a great time and the worst time of my life. I went from knowing just about everyone Freshman year to being the new kid with a huge new family. This doesn't do much for one's self esteem when it is already fragile. But, in the end, I came out okay. I was probably flirting on the edge of trouble with the kids I was hanging out with Freshman year but at the same time, I still found similar trouble at my new school...it just didn't become my only area of socialization. To this day though...I feel like I don't really belong anywhere. I haven't found my perfect fit with any particular group and to be honest, I am horrible at parties and making friends. So Freak or Geek or Fregeek...deep down, I still feel that way.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I can sure relate to that feeling. :( I've never felt like I fit in anywhere, except maybe one place....but that's for another conversation, not a blog comment. :D