Friday, September 26, 2008

Stealing Buddha's Dinner

I recently finished Stealing Buddha's Dinner by Bich Minh Nguyen. It was an interesting read. I grabbed this book on a whim at the library. I was looking for a different biography and the title looked interesting. I read the comments on the jacket and thought it would be fun to see how someone else digested the icons of my youth.

I don't know if I would have enjoyed this book as much if I wasn't the same age as the author. I found it quite entertaining to see how she reacted to the same commericals and events during my youth. If you like memoirs, you might just like this one.

One thing though is that I will never understand why people call memoirs self absorbed. So if you find yourself thinking that way about memoirs most of the time, skip it because while it reads like a novel at points throughout the book it is definitely her reaction and her thoughts. Sometimes these thoughts are self serving. If this bugs you, skip it. Also, food is a main topic throughout the book. She talks about how the food in her home indicates how different her homelife is from those around her. If food focused books trigger you... you might want to skip it as I did find myself craving fun dip and sticky rice for some reason.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I'll have to check this out and possibly recommend it to the book club. Sounds interesting!