Monday, December 08, 2008

Super easy and tasty chicken

I found a recipe online awhile back and now I can't find the link to it so here is my version:

* 3-4 qt crockpot
* some chicken pieces, I had 3 frozen chicken breasts
* 1 small jar of apricot preserves
* 1 12oz or small jar of salsa of your choice, I used peach pineapple because I thought it might go well with the apricot instead of the other flavors I had available in the house.
* 1 pk of taco seasoning
* 1 can of beans
* Cooked rice


Take the chicken and dump in the crockpot. Mix the salsa, preserves, and taco seasoning together and pour over the chicken. Cook for 2-3 hours. Add the can of beans and cook until needed. I had added a 1/4 package of frozen bell pepper strips at the same time as the beans and then cooked for about another 2 hours or so. Total cooking time ended up being 5.5 hours on low. This is the first time that chicken breasts actually came out looking the way that they should have and without that wierd brown crust that we have seen recently when I have made whole chicken breasts in the crockpot. My 4 qt crockpot is not a major name brand and it cooks too fast. I started it about 1pm and then added the beans and peppers at around 430pm. We ate about 630 so I think I added right. You could probably add the beans in the beginning I just didn't think about it and thought I had black beans on hand but I had to use light red kidney beans instead. They were hard but it was probably the brand that I have, canned beans really aren't supposed to be hard so it was annoying.

I was told to make this again. It didn't come out too sweet as I was worried about and it was just spicey enough for me and was a good level for DH to not have to add any hotsauce. Next time I will add an onion but I was being nice and not adding onion since DH thinks I cook with too many onions. I think the sauce would be good with pork too.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Too many onions???? There is no such thing!!

That sounds yummy!