Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Just not right....

Yesterday was the 6th anniversary of the largest terrorist act that I have witnessed in my life. Is it the biggest tragedy? I don't know. I know that it would be for all of the people in New York and I feel for each and every one of them. But at the same time, what about New Orleans and the Gulf Coast? Or Indonesia? I am at a loss on how to describe the monumental events that have occurred in the last 6 years. I only pray and hope that similar events do not occur in the future.

Many times since 9/11 and Katrina I have thought about how I would have felt if these events had occurred closer to home. I don't have an answer. I hope I never have an answer. I still remember the emotions invoked on 9/11/01 and the days after. The bright lining was the birth of a very special young boy in our life a few days later. I experienced similar emotions after Katrina. I refuse to relate these emotions to other facets of my life right now because in the grand scheme of things, my problems are of little consequence. All day yesterday, I just felt not right. Things didn't go right and I felt like I was never in the right place. I can't place myself in others shoes but yesterday must have been a hard day for many others.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I think the main difference for me was that 9/11 carried along with it a huge sense of violation that none of the other natural catastrophes had.

I avoided all mention of it on tv that day - I just couldn't watch it.