Thursday, August 02, 2007

Gross yet it just proves...

no neighborhood is safe from people looking for identity theft information. Yesterday, I put out a small bin of recyclables. The only reason I did that was because I was wasting time to see if I could wave to my neighbor that was mowing the grass. Odd, I know, but I am trying to be more friendly to our neighbors to see if that helps. However, sometime between the time that DH came home early from work...due to a headache and nausea (Im thinking heat issues) and 11pm, someone came and stole the contents of the recycle bin. Now, I will admit, that sometimes I recycle credit card offers but I ripped them into several pieces. I won't be doing that again. Today I need to figure out in my limited time, how to place a fraud alert. Tuesday one of our credit cards called and questioned a transaction,which is good because it wasn't ours.

Our neighborhood is a good neighborhood, don't get me wrong, but I would gather that there are several people who's credit is questionable. Yet again, there are lots of people that most likely have wonderful credit... my question is did they pick their victims or did they just randomly take recycleables? Our neighbor kitty corner to us had her bin emptied also... but it was after we discovered ours. DH went out and looked up and down the street. No one else at the time had their bin emptied. I guess we should have called the police.


Updated:You can place a fraud alert online at experian.com/fraud. Supposedly once you alert one of the agencies, the others are notified. Hopefully that is accurate as I tried to place fraud alerts with the other two first using their automated systems but neither of them went thru. Ugh..

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Oh my gosh - I can't believe you had your credit stuff stolen! :( That's awful! We have been lucky that the thieves who broke into our house didn't try....I didn't need that nightmare on top of feeling totally violated. :(

I hope nothing more comes of it...you're wise to put a fraud alert out.